1 Polyethylene glycols
PEG´s are products chemically inert and thermically stable, derived from Ethylene Oxide. Depending on the degree of ethoxylation, products with different molecular weights can be obtained with a range of properties.
PEG´s are used as intermediaries in the manufacture of other chemical products since they can be converted into monoesters, diesters, ethers, amines o acetals. Some of their uses are:
• Mold release
• Lubricants for the manufacture of natural and synthetic rubber like tires and latex.
• Solvents for inks and printed textiles.
• Softening agents
• Lubricants, anti-statics
• Conditioners for textile fibers
• Mixtures of PEG´s are used as stiffening agents.
• Preparation of ointments
• Preparation of moisturizing lotions, suppositories, tablets, etc.
• Preparation of cosmetics.
2 Polypropylene glycols
PPG´s are propylene glycol polymers. Chemically belonging to the family of polyethers, these products are colorless liquids at 25°C. Their viscosity increases with molecular weight. Depending on their molecular weight they can be soluble or insoluble in water.
• Chemical intermediate for fatty acid esters, cosmetic formulas, lubricating oils and antifoams.
• Preparation of adhesives, coatings, elastomers and sealants.
• Preparation of brake liquid formulas, lubricating oils, rubber processing, air filters, and foam inhibition products.
3 Polyalkylene glicols (PAG´s)
PAG´s are manufactured from low molecular weight monomers called epoxides. The variations in which epoxides can be combined are limitless, resulting in a wide variety of possible properties in the PAG´s.
PAG´s are widely used in lubricant formulas, being the only synthetic lubricant bases, commercially available ones that are water soluble.
They are used as lubricants:
• At high temperatures
• In compressors
• Metallurgic industry
• Rubber processing
• Textile and fiber industry
• Gear lubricant
• Heat Transfer
• Brake liquid formula
4 Non-ionic surfactants
Surfactants are compounds that reduce interfacial tension when dissolved in water. Non-ionic surfactants do not create ions in aqueous environments. The hydrosolubility is obtained thanks to functional groups of great affinity with the aqueous environment (e.g. units of ethylene oxide). The variation in the degree of ethoxylation permits a great number of technical application possibilities.
Ethoxylated Nonylphenol (NPEs)
NPEs are non-ionic surfactants obtained by the addition of ethylene oxide (EO) with nonylphenol. They are widely known for their high efficiency, economy, as well as for their easily handling and formulation.
Among their applications are:
Surfactants NPEs can be used as emulsifiers, moisturizers, dispersants, latex stabilizers, and as detergents in the formulation of cleaning products.
NPEs are also used in polymerization processes for acrylic resin and vinyl emulsions, as well as in the production of asphalt emulsions.
Low foam surfactants
Low foam surfactants are oxyalkylated fatty alcohols. They are biodegradable and low toxicity.
Polioles´ products are designed especially for applications where foam can be a problem.
Sorbitan esthers S-MAZ and their ethoxylates T-MAZ are excellent products widely used with lipophilic emulsifiers, softeners, fiber lubricants, anti-statics.
Sorbitan esthers are widely used in the formulation of emulsions oil in water or water in oil.
They are used to modify viscosity, anti-static and dispersal agents.
Applications in: food, cosmetics, textile industry, synthetic fiber, cosmetic products, food and beverages and polymerized emulsions among others.
Acrylic acid polymers such as acrylic acid and maleic acid copolymers.
A dispersant is an additive used to achieve distribution and dispersion of a solute in a solvent.
5 Chelating Agents
Control the concentration of metallic ions in an aqueous environment. Some of them are biodegradable.
• Detergent formulas to prevent fading of colors.
• In the pretreatment of metals.
• In the formulation of water-based paints.
• Pulp and paper production.
• Cosmetic products.
• Micronutrients; in agriculture and viniculture.
• Metallurgic industry, metal extraction.
• Water treatment.
• Desulfurization of gases.
• Paper industry: bleaching and paper recycling.
Biocides are used to destroy, counteract, neutralize, impede the action or controlling whatever organism considered being harmful to man.
Among their properties are used as disinfectants, preservatives, anti-bio corrosive, biodegradable etc.
• Preserve consumer and industrial products, deodorant and chemical sanitizer, biocide for the paper and petrochemical industries.
• Preserve consumer and industrial products.
• Disinfectant for surfaces and instruments.
Waxes are materials with soluble properties in non polar solvents at high temperatures. They are capable of forming gels and pastes with solvents, they have strong hydrophobic properties which make them impermeable to water. They have good lubricating properties, they do not conduct electricity and they have a shiny/glossy quality.
• Floor, shoe, automotive polish and similar products that require the formation of a high shine/film finish.
• Temporary anti-corrosive for automobiles and machine parts.
• External lubricants for the PVC process to avoid PVC adhering to hot surfaces, in addition they improve its aesthetic properties of the same, providing better shine and better water repellency.
8 Oil Field Chemicals (OFCs)
OFCs are non-ionic surfactants widely used in the separation of emulsions: water/oil or oil/water.
OFCs have three fundamental actions:
– Strong attraction to oil/water interface: They must displace and/or neutralize the emulsifiers present in the interface film.
– Flocculation: They neutralize the repelling electrical charges between the dispersed drops permitting their contact.
– Coalescence: They permit small drops to join with bigger drops that have sufficient weight to settle them. Hence, it is required that the film surrounding and stabilizing the drops is broken.
• In dehydration and desalination for petroleum production both on-shore and off-shore.
These are sulfonated and ethoxylate products which are used in the formulation of shine additives for the electroplating process that consists of electro-depositing a metal on a surface to improve its properties.
• Formulation of shine additives used in the electroplating industry, principally in nickel baths.
• They can be used as corrosion inhibitors in acidic environments.
10 Green Products
Green products offer a real environmentally friendly alternative for everyday applications.
Focused toward consumers interested in acquiring ecological products for use or as raw materials which provide benefits and added value to ecosystems.
This range of products is made with raw materials and alternative processes making them more biodegradable and naturally depurated/purified.
• Low foam surfactants.
• Isolators of cosmetic industry or in the sweetening of gas.
Polioles, S.A. de C.V. offers a wide range of ethoxylate products for diverse applications. For more information please contact us.
10 Green Products
8 Oil Field Chemicals
5 Chelating Agents
© Copyright 2013, Polioles S.A. de C.V.